Skip Barber Racing School INDYCAR Academy Is Set
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Skip Barber Racing School INDYCAR Academy Is Set
BRASELTON, Ga. (Jan. 11, 2013) – An Olympic gold medalist is among the 33 drivers who will participate in the Skip Barber Racing School INDYCAR Academy on Jan. 25-27 at Sebring International Raceway.
The winner of the shootout competition will receive a sponsored ride in either the 2013 summer or winter Skip Barber Regional Race Series presented by Mazda, with the opportunity to climb the Mazda Road to Indy ladder to the IZOD IndyCar Series.
Finalists applied for the Academy after graduating from a three-day Skip Barber Formula Car Racing School.
The field includes students, U.S. military personnel, salesmen, doctors and 2012 Olympic swimming gold medal winner Tyler Clary. He participated in the Skip Barber Formula Car Racing School after visiting IZOD IndyCar Series races last summer.
The Skip Barber Racing School, which was named the Official Racing School of the IZOD IndyCar Series and the Mazda Road to Indy, has trained and developed racing talent for almost four decades.
“Skip Barber Racing School is committed to continuing to be the launching pad for many of the world’s top drivers and the Skip Barber Racing School INDYCAR Academy is another tremendous opportunity to discover those drivers who will be the next generation of the best of the best,” said Michael Culver, CEO, Skip Barber Racing School.
“INDYCAR stars Ryan Hunter-Reay, Marco and Michael Andretti, Helio Castroneves, Tony Kanaan, Josef Newgarden and Bryan Herta have all benefited from Skip Barber Racing School programs, and the Skip Barber Racing School INDYCAR Academy is another chance for those who desire to race professionally to achieve their goals based on merit, not money.”
Individuals interested in the next Skip Barber Racing School INDYCAR Academy can call 800-221-1131 for information.
The 33 finalists selected from 84 applicants, in alphabetical order by first name (hometown, occupation, age):
- Aaron Gravelle, San Francisco, California, Marketing, 24
- Aaron Walker, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Landlord, 22
- Adam Diamond, Atlanta, Georgia, Project Manager, 24
- Alan Baker, Vancouver, British Columbia, Computer Consultant, 51
- Andre Gomes, Nashua, New Hampshire, Computer Technician, 25
- Andrew Baxter, Runsom, New Jersey, Student, 23
- Brandon Pratt, Milford, Pennsylvania, Air National Guard, 26
- Cody King, Clarkalke, Michigan, Sciences Promoter, 21
- Connor Clifford, Chicago, Illinois, Bartender, 25
- Corey Wright, West Green, Georgia, Student, 20
- David Alpert, Naples, Florida, Web Consultant/Student, 24
- David Matlock, Springfield, Missouri, Emergency Physician, 33
- Doug Peterman, Bend, Oregon, Student, 21
- James Allard, Hoosick, New York, IT Specialist, 27
- Jaime Colmenares, San Francisco, California,Senior Manager, 39
- Jarrett Overstreet, Roanoke, Virginia, Student, 17
- Javier Cantu-Lucero, Seattle, Washington, Kart Track Operator, 20
- John Howe, Grass Lake, Michigan, Test Driver, 24
- Joshua Lenhard, Las Vegas, Nevada, Single Father/Data Entry, 25
- Justin Finkle, Delmar, New York, Gemologist, 30
- Kevin Woods, Newark, California, 41
- Mac Wolff, Katy, Texas, New Homes Sales, 23
- Matthew Donmoyer, Aurora, Colorado, Field Engineer, 24
- Matthew Ivanhoe, Greenwich, Connecticut, Internet Entrepenuer, 25
- Matthew Wilkes, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Student, 21
- Max Hanratty, Hartland, Wisconsin, Student, 19
- Michael Wu, Woodbrigde, Virginia, Software Engeineer, 27
- Michai Stephens, Evanston, Illinois, Construction, 20
- Reza Kianersi, Fresno, California, Engine Tuner, 29
- Sabastian Cedeno, Bahia de Caraquez, Ecuador, Floor Specialist, 24
- Todd Soukup, Chicago, Illinois, Mechanical Engineer, 29
- Tyler Clary, Riverside, California, Professional Swimmer, 23
- Wolfgang Obergin, Ukiah, California, Construction, 22
Learn more about the Skip Barber Racing School INDYCAR Academy field here.
Grand Prize for the shootout is a full season in Skip Barber Summer Race Series presented by Mazda.
Qualifying for the Skip Barber Racing School INDYCAR Academy was simple: the finalists had to graduate from one Skip Barber 3-Day Formula Car Racing School in 2012 and apply. Individuals must meet the following criteria to be nominated for the Skip Barber INDYCAR Academy:
- No Professional Racing Experience
- No Karting Experience
In the Skip Barber Racing Series, competitors race for an opportunity to climb to the top of the motorsports ladder through a sponsored advancement up the Mazda Road to Indy.
With the field chosen, the next INDYCAR Academy opens its doors for a new set of candidates looking to become the next IZOD IndyCar Series champion. Interested individuals can call 800.221.1131 to talk to a School and Series Advisor.
All media are welcome to attend the event.
Skip Barber Racing School is the Official Racing School of the IZOD IndyCar Series
Skip Barber Racing School INDYCAR Academy is the Official Racing School of the Mazda Road to Indy