Skip Barber National Drivers are Three of Eight Candidates to Compete Tomorrow for 21st Annual Team USA Scholarship
Thursday, September 02, 2010
Tomorrow for 21st Annual Team USA Scholarship Tomorrow three young drivers of the BFGoodrich/Skip Barber National presented by Mazda race series will compete in a shoot-out for a pair of the prestigious Team USA Scholarships to race in the final Formula Ford events in England in October and November.
Sophomore Ashley Freiberg and rookies and MAZDASPEED Development drivers Spencer Pigot and Felix Serralles are three of eight nominees who will follow in the footsteps of past nominees and former Skip Barber racers AJ Allmendinger, Bryan Herta, Memo Gidley, Josef Newgarden, Conor Daly, Brett Smrz and more.
The 2010 nominees are:
• Neil Alberico, 17, from Los Gatos, Calif. – winner of the 2009-2010 Bondurant Championship Race Series
• Ashley Freiberg, 18, from Homer Glen, Ill. – earlier this year became the first female ever to win a Skip Barber Racing Series title, clinching the Southern Regional crown, and the first to win a round of the Skip Barber National
• Patrick Gallagher, 17, from Thornville, Ohio – standout in SCCA Formula 5 and Formula E competition
• Miles Maroney, 16, from Topanga Canyon, Calif. – currently second and top rookie in the Pacific F2000 Series
• Arie Ouimet, 19, from Plymouth, Mass. – currently second in the VW Jetta TDI Cup with two podium finishes
• Spencer Pigot, 16, from Windermere, Fla. – MAZDASPEED Development Driver, current leader of the BFGoodrich Skip Barber National Presented by Mazda Series with two wins, nine podium finishes and four poles from 10 races
• Jonathan Scarallo, 18, from Hauppauge, N.Y. – recently claimed his first win in the F2000 Championship Series
• Felix Serralles, 17, from Haines City, Fla. – MAZDASPEED Development Driver, currently third in the Skip Barber National Series point standings
Pigot is currently leading the points in the 2010 season of BFGoodrich/Skip Barber National presented by Mazda. With four poles, two wins and eleven top-five finishes in twelve races, the Windermere, Fla. driver holds a 20-point advantage for the lead and also leads the rookie standings by 45 points over Serralles who currently resides in third in the championship. Freiberg recently became the first woman to win a Skip Barber National event, and stands fifth in the championship with seven top-ten finishes.
Next Up The championship will be decided at Rounds 13 and 14 of 14 of the BF Goodrich/Skip Barber National Presented by Mazda will be at Road Atlanta with Petit Le Mans September 28th-October 1st.
Since 2006, Skip Barber National Champions have continued their racing careers through the MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development Ladder. 2009 Skip Barber National Champion Connor De Phillippi will race for JDC Motorsports in this year’s Star Mazda Championship courtesy MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development. Other drivers with Skip Barber Racing School ties include 2007 Atlantic champion and IZOD Indycar driver Raphael Matos and 2009 Atlantic champion and Rolex Sports Car Series driver John Edwards.
A limited number of seats are available for both single Race Weekends and the full championship. For more information on qualifications and pricing, please contact Chris Kretzmer at Skip Barber Racing School at (860) 435-4138 or [email protected]