Skip Barber National at A1GP
Friday, March 10, 2006
MONTEREY, Calif. (March 10) – What was supposed to be a day of three practice sessions for the Skip Barber National Presented by RACER was shrunk to just one as heavy rain created substantial run-off issues at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. But when the session finally went off, Justin Moon rose to the occasion and put up the best time. Let me re-state that: He blew the field away, sticking a 1:41.823 on his last flying lap, a monumental – in this series – 1.2 seconds up on second-best Marco Di Leo. From Di Leo’s :43.046 to eighth-quickest Duncan Ende, the gap was just .510 of a second.
Third-quick was Jonathan Goring, followed by Joel Miller, Alex Doman, Alexander Rossi, Richard Heistand and Ende. Mario Adrian Ochoa and Quentin Wahl rounded out the top 10.
The track was slick and cold, and the ambient temperature was in the very chilly 40s.
Qualifying for race one is set for 1:15 p.m. Pacific time, with the race going off at 4:00 p.m.
Practice, Skip Barber National Presented by RACER, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca:
1. Justin Moon, Shingle Springs, Calif., 1:41.823/79.196 mph
2. Marco Di Leo, Markham, Ont. Can., 1:43.046
3. Jonathan Goring, Norfolk, Conn., 1:43.109
4. Joel Miller, Hesperia, Calif., 1:43.152
5. Alex Doman, Conifer, Colo., 1:43.330
6. Alexander Rossi, Nevada City, Calif., 1:43.369
7. Richard Heistand, Orlando, Fla., 1:43.425
8. Duncan Ende, Los Angeles, Calif., 1:43.556
9. Mario Adrian Ochoa, Mexico, 1:45.031
10.Quentin Wahl, Santa Barbara, Calif., 1:45.06
11. Andy Rossetto Grafton, Wis., 1:45.294
12. Kyle Wiegand, Bargersville, Ind., 1:45.368
13. Jason Fennessey, Andover, Mass., 1:45.521
14. Eric Freiberg, Homer Glen, Ill., 1:45.523
15. Cory Turner, Bakersfield, Calif., 1:45.951
16. Kyle Lawrence, Ft. Gratiot, Mich., 1:46.508
17. Enzo Pastor, Philippines, 1:46.760
18. Peter Husser, Salinas, Calif., 1:46.822
19. Chris Castagna, South Boston, Mass., 1:47.042
20. Timmy Megenbier, Melrose Park, Ill., 1:48.268