IS THERE AN AGE REQUIREMENT TO ATTEND?
- Skip Barber Racing Schools have an age limit of 15; however, younger drivers are considered based on previous racing, karting experience is considered – we have had students as young as 13. Please discuss those specifics with your School and Series Advisor.
- Skip Barber High Performance Schools have an age limit of 18. Again, please discuss any previous experience with your School and Series Advisor for consideration. Parental permission is required under 18.
- Skip Barber Driving Schools do not have a specific age limit; however, driver must have a state issued Learner’s Permit or Driver’s License with a minimum of 20 to 40 hours of behind the wheel experience. Please discuss your specifics with your School and Series Advisor.
WHAT IS THE COST OF ATTENDING?
- There are variable costs for attending depending on the program. Skip Barber Driving Schools are considered to have the lowest cost with prices starting at $995.00. Racing School prices start at $1695.00. Please be sure to consider your ability and recognize the value of enrolling in a program that best fits your skill level at the time. Please speak with your School and Series Advisor to better identify your skill level, your goals and the right Skip Barber program for you currently.
ARE THERE PREREQUISITES FOR ANY OF THE PROGRAMS?
- Skip Barber High Performance and Racing Schools require the ability to operate a manual transmission; however some of Skip Barber’s basic driving programs will offer manual transmission education if advance notification is given.
- Skip Barber Advanced Racing Activities include:
- Two-Day Advanced Racing School
- Advanced Car Control
- Lapping Days
- Practice Days
- Race Series
- Please speak with your School and Series Advisor for more information about these advanced courses as you create your comprehensive Skip Barber training plan.
WHAT CARS WILL I BE ABLE TO DRIVE? DO I DRIVE MY OWN CAR?
- Since 1975 Skip Barber Racing School has pioneered and continues to advance the “Arrive and Drive” experience for our students. We carefully identify and test the proper automobiles and match them to the specific program for your desired result.
- If your training goals involve driving your own vehicle, the One and Two-Day Skip Barber High Performance Driving School provides this option for the autocross and on-track portions of the curriculum following a vehicle inspection. Please contact a Skip Barber School and Series Advisor for more information.
HOW LONG ARE THE PROGRAMS?
- Skip Barber programs range from one to three days. Most of the Driving, High Performance and Racing programs start at one approximately 8-hour day; however, there are more intense advanced programs that only allow for half-day. Please note, these advanced programs have very strict prerequisites and offer very rigorous curriculum. Please contact your Skip Barber School and Series Advisor for more information.
HOW MUCH TIME IS SPENT IN THE CLASSROOM AND ON THE TRACK?
- Skip Barber Racing School has always recognized the value in seat time. Since 1975 we have balanced the ratio between classroom, seat time and real-time feed-back creating the optimum environment for proper execution on the racetrack coupled with the understanding achieved in the classroom and feed-back sessions. You are provided with a minimum of one hour classroom time per day.
WILL MEALS BE PROVIDED AT THE PROGRAM?
- Yes, lunch is provided on all full and multiple day programs.
AM I LIABLE FOR VEHICLE DAMAGE THAT MAY OCCUR DURING THE EVENT?
- You are responsible for damage in Racing Schools, High Performance Driving Schools, and Race Series events; however, Skip Barber Racing School offers damage- liability-reduction based on the program you select. Please contact your Skip Barber School and Series Advisor for specific information.
- Click here to View Damage Liability Options.
- Click here to View Damage Liability Options for Minors.
- Click here to view Damage Liability Options for Race Series
ARE HELMETS AND GEAR PROVIDED?
IS LODGING PROVIDED?
WHO WILL BE MY INSTRUCTOR?
- Skip Barber Racing School provides only the best race-proven instructors. Our instructors have the proven skill and experience coupled with the unique ability to communicate it to you. Instructors are assigned by region and will vary from program to program based on availability.
CAN I BRING SPECTATORS OR PARENT/CHILD TO THE PROGRAM?
- Yes however, Skip Barber is very serious about the educational aspect to the environment. We welcome friends, family members and or spectators; however, our focus is the student.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A DRIVING SCHOOL AND A RACING SCHOOL?
- Skip Barber Driving Schools and High Performance Schools are programs based on production based vehicles. Vehicles that you can drive on the racetrack today and purchase from the showroom tomorrow.
- The driving programs are designed to focus on the foundations of vehicle dynamics and behavior that will be directly translated to safe, fun motoring for the street.
- High Performance schools take the driving school curriculum and add intensity based capitalizing on the capability of the high performance cars in the fleet.
- Skip Barber Racing Schools are programs based on race cars. You have a selection of Open Wheel Formula Race Cars, or Mazda MX5 Cup Sports Cars specially prepared to compete in the SCCA Playboy Cup Series.
- The racing programs are designed to teach the fundamentals and advanced techniques to be successful on the track and in a racing environment.
WHAT IF AN EVENT DATE IS FULL?
- Be sure to look for alternative dates for the same program or be placed on a wait list with no obligation. Contact your Skip Barber School and Series Advisor for assistance and more information.
WHAT IF IT RAINS DURING THE PROGRAM?
- All programs are run rain or shine. Rain actually adds a positive training element to any program.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING WITH ME?
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, camera and a smile. If you don’t have a smile, don’t worry, we can install that for you.
WHAT TYPE OF ATTIRE IS APPROPRIATE FOR THIS PROGRAM?
- Comfortable clothing is key for both Driving Schools and Racing Schools. Please note, in Racing Schools you will be provided a racing suit, so appropriate clothing to be worn underneath must be considered. Always consider the weather. Proper shoes must be worn with your feet completely covered, narrow design is best. Gloves are recommended for racing schools. Please go to www.K1racegear.com for more product information and specials.
AM I ALLOWED TO BRING A CAMERA OR VIDEO CAMERA?
- Yes however, you will have limited access to your still camera. You are going to be driving, not taking photos.
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW?
- Be prepared – This will forever change the way you think and feel about driving.
WHAT IS YOUR CANCELLATION POLICY?
ENTRY FEES AND OTHER PAYMENTS ARE NONREFUNDABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR ANY REASON REGARDLESS OF CAUSE*, However, as described below, your program may be rescheduled, and any Crash Damage Reduction Fees will remain credited to your account.
Programs Purchased at Full Retail Price: 21 calendar days or more before the originally scheduled program start date, a program purchased at the full retail price on your purchase date may be rescheduled by you once to another available date and/or location without charge; a Rescheduling Fee of fifteen percent (15%) of the full retail price of your Entry Fee will apply to any subsequent rescheduling.
Programs Purchased at a Discount from Full Retail Price: 21 calendar days or more before the originally scheduled program start date, a program purchased at a discount or other reduction from the full retail price on your purchase date may be rescheduled by you to another available date and/or location by paying (i) the difference between the reduced price and the full retail price of your Entry Fee on the date of your original purchase, plus (ii) a Rescheduling Fee of fifteen percent (15%) of the full retail price of your Entry Fee.
- Personal ExpensesSkip Barber Racing School will not be responsible for any of your travel or other personal expenses incurred in connection with any rescheduling or cancellation or Racetrack Shutdown of any program.
*However, you may enroll in any program at a substantially higher Entry Fee which would be refundable, and which will permit you at any time up to seven days prior to the start of your event to either (i) cancel altogether and receive a full refund, or (ii) reschedule to the same or a different Skip Barber event at another date and/or location of your choosing, with no Rescheduling Fees and the amount of your payment being applied as a credit against the Entry Fee of the rescheduled program. For further information, the please call 800-221-1131 or contact your Schools and Series Advisor.
WHAT IS THE RACETRACK SHUTDOWN POLICY?
- ENTRY FEES AND OTHER PAYMENTS ARE NONREFUNDABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR ANY REASON REGARDLESS OF CAUSE
- Racetrack Shutdown: If the racetrack/facility at which your program is scheduled should for any reason whatsoever cancels the use of its facilities for your program, or if there is an act of God, government authority, disaster, strikes, civil disorders, or other emergencies, any of which make it illegal or unfeasible to use the facilities and/or services for your program, then it will not be considered a cancellation, no Rescheduling Fee will apply, and Skip Barber will conduct the event at another available date and/or location; also, you may substitute a similar or different Skip Barber program at another available date and/or location of your choosing, and your payment of the Entry Fee and other fees for your original program will be applied as a credit against the Entry Fee of the substituted program. However, there will be no cash refunds of the Entry Fee or other fees for the program.
DO YOU PROVIDE INSURANCE OPTIONS (CRASH DAMAGE LIABILITY)?
- Yes! We provide options for crash damage liability. Click HERE to learn more.